A select group of relative newcomers to the International Union of Bricklayers and Allied Craftworkers earned the distinction of top apprentices in eight trowel trades crafts at the BAC/IMI International Apprentice Contest, held September 28-29 at the BAC/IMI John J. Flynn International Training Center.
A total of 103 contestants competed in eight craft categories that included Brick, Cement, Marble, Plaster, PCC/Restoration, Stone, Tile and Terrazzo. BAC apprentices receive their training through Local Union training programs and the International Masonry Institute (IMI).
The contestants, most of whom were selected following a series of Local Union and Regional contests, came from 20 states and five Canadian provinces.
“These winners represent levels of skill that are truly extraordinary,” said BAC President and IMI Co-Chair John J. Flynn. “It’s a testament to their dedication to their craft, and to the Union industry’s commitment to quality training.”
First Place Winners:
· BRICK: Darren Tobolt, BAC Local 40 Ohio of the Ohio Administrative District Council
· TERRAZZO: Michael Sell, Sr., BAC Local 7 New York/New Jersey
· MARBLE Nikolajs Pastuhovs, BAC Local 1 Washington
· STONE: Ray Lowden, III, BAC Local 9 Pennsylvania
· PLASTER: Christos Katechis, BAC Local 1 New York
· PCC: Daniel McInerney, BAC Local 3 Massachusetts
· TILE: Rey Barrios, BAC Local 3 California
· CEMENT: Jesse Steger, BAC Local 11 of the Wisconsin Administrative District Council
Apprentices Compete for "Top Trowel" Honors at BAC
October 6, 2009