In the Foundation of the American Subcontractors Association’s new video-on-demand, “Employment Law Mistakes Most Commonly Made by Subcontractors,” attorney Philip J. Siegel, Hendrick, Phillips, Salzman & Siegel, discusses steps subcontractors can take to minimize potential liability for employment law matters.
Siegel explains how subcontractors prohibit a former employee from bringing claims against the company and how to avoid other common traps in the employment law arena. Siegel also addresses:
- Proper classification of independent contractors;
- Permitted deductions from employee paychecks;
- Severance pay;
- Documenting disciplinary actions;
- The importance of written job descriptions;
- The importance of having—and following—a discrimination and harassment policy; and
- Common wage and hour mistakes such as those made regarding travel pay.
“Employment Law Mistakes Most Commonly Made by Subcontractors” (Item #8116) is $65 for ASA members and $95 for nonmembers. This and other on-demand videos are available through FASA’s Contractors’ Knowledge Depot.