The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute has announced the winners of its 2023 CFSEI Design Excellence and Creative Detail awards. This year’s awards were presented during the 2023 CFSEI Expo, held May 8-10 at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside in New Orleans. The award winners and descriptions of projects are included at https://www.cfsei.org.
CFSEI Design Excellence Awards recognize projects that exemplify excellence in the structural design of new or renovated structures utilizing cold-formed steel products. Entries are judged on design creativity, technical innovation and overall project excellence in cold-formed steel utilization in the Residential/Hospitality, Commercial, Non-Building Application and Municipal categories, with Municipal subcategories covering cultural, services and sports projects. The Commercial and Non-Building Application categories were added this year. The 2023 CFSEI Design Excellence Award winners are:
- First Place — McClure — Triangle Square in Chicago
- Second Place — R.A. Smith, Inc. — The Rosie in Chicago
- Third Place — ADTEK Engineers, Inc. — Atlantic Crossings Building III in Delray Beach, Florida
- First Place — McClure — Blessed Stanley Rother Shrine in Oklahoma City
- Second Place — McClure — All Saints Orthodox Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Third Place — Martin/Martin, Inc. — CSU Spur Hydro Water in Denver
- First Place — ClarkDietrich Engineering Services — PGA Office Center in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
- Second Place — Digital Building Components — Mayo West Tower in Phoenix
- Third Place — R.A. Smith, Inc. — Advocate Aurora Health Care Lake Villa Clinic in Lake Villa, Illinois
- First Place — Martin/Martin, Inc. — Pennsylvania State University Lasch Building Renovation in State College, Pennsylvania
- Second Place — Tacoma Engineers Inc. — Canada Summer Games Building in Thorold, Ontario, Canada
- First Place — R.A. Smith, Inc. — Office Building @ Ovation in Newport, Kentucky
- Second Place — R.A. Smith, Inc. — Starbucks in Staten Island, New York
Category: Non-Building Application
- First Place — Salas O’Brien — Southwest Downtown Pedestrian Bridge in Colorado Springs, Colorado
CFSEI Creative Detail Awards recognize a cold-formed steel detail that exemplifies creativity or ingenuity to solve a design challenge. The 2023 CFSEI Creative Detail Awards were presented to:
- First Place — Excel Engineering — Hotel Indigo in New York City
- Second Place — McClure — Titletown Multi-Family Residential in Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin
- Third Place — Iron Engineering, PLLC — Kind Care Senior Housing in Bristol, Connecticut
A description of each of the award-winning CFSEI Design Excellence and Creative Detail projects are provided at https://www.cfsei.org/2023-design-excellence-and-creative-design-winners.
“It is exciting to see the continuing growth in the number of submissions and especially the very high level of expertise and creativity these entries demonstrate,” said Larry Williams, CFSEI managing director and executive director of the Steel Framing Industry Association. “We congratulate the award winners and encourage engineers, architects and other design professionals to learn more about these innovative projects in order to stimulate new ideas for their own projects.
“We also would like to thank our sponsors for supporting this year’s event and their continuing commitment to bring new ideas and solutions to the growing roster of design professionals who are regularly attending the CFSEI Expo,” Williams added. “Our Platinum Sponsors included the ClarkDietrich Building Systems, Steel Framing Industry Association and USG Corporation. Our Gold Sponsors were Nucor Vulcraft/Verco and Simpson Strong-Tie. Our Silver Sponsors were Advant Steel LLC, Argos Systems, ASC Steel Deck, BYLD, CEMCO, DeWalt, FrameCad, Marino\WARE, MiTek and TrusSteel. Our Bronze Sponsors were ScottsDale Construction Systems and Dominion, which also provided a tour of their facility for Expo attendees. We appreciate all they did to make the 2023 CFSEI Expo successful.”