And so it begins. We reset on New Year’s Day to another year and hence a whole new trade show circuit.
As ever, the year will bring us all across the nation, from east to west, north to south. Re-grip your clubs, be sure to iron the khakis and bring your notebook and a lot of business cards.
If you opt out of this year’s International Builders’ Show in Las Vegas, consider the Sunshine State. The Florida Wall & Ceiling Contractors Association will hold its Executive Conference January 28 through 30 at the Omni Champion’s Gate. This event has two days of association meetings and plenty of opportunities at this location near Orlando.
On January 28, the association will hold its Board of Director’s Dinner.
On January 29, several seminars take place:
• Job Documentation & Claims Management—This event, presented by Amom Ackley, P.E., shows contractors how to best protect their projects and money through proper job change documentation, managing claims to a satisfactory conclusion and proper filing on notices.
• Immigration Reform & How it Affects the Construction Industry—This seminar is an overview of U.S. immigration including the difference between immigrant and non-immigrant visas, work visas, I-9 compliance and employer sanctions, including use for verification of identity and employment, and sanctions for failing to comply. The event is presented by Carlos Colombo.
• Secrets to Successful Closing & Negotiating Skills—This event, presented by Chuck Roberts, will teach practical methods that can be implemented to achieve desired outcomes more frequently. Attendees will also learn how to negotiate what you want in a manner that protects your relationship with the opposing party.
• Update on Florida Construction Lien Law—Rick Watson will present a complete review of the state’s Construction Lien Law. This includes the law, parties and their rights; service under the lien and bond statutes; critical time periods; commencement and termination of projects and more.
• Credit Management & Managing Your Accounts Receivable—Jack Berrell, Chastity Benitez, John Steel and Antony Goddard present this two-hour session that will discuss collection agencies, using the NTO process, electronic documents, credit insurance, credit reports and a lot more.
Contact the association for more information or visit fwcca.com.