According to Brenda Harris, chair of the new subcommittee, adhered manufactured stone masonry veneer has recently been defined by Committee C15's executive subcommittee as "a lightweight, architectural non-load bearing product. It is a wet-cast blend of cementitious materials, lightweight and other aggregates, iron oxide pigments and admixtures."
Harris says that the subcommittee was formed because there are currently no ASTM standards for adhered manufactured stone masonry veneer.
"The lack of a uniform and nationally recognized product standard and the lack of specific and appropriate installation procedures for this product have allowed untested and substandard products to find their way into both residential and commercial construction," said Harris. "The development of these standards would create the critical definitions and procedures needed by project owners, as well as design and installation professionals."
The first proposed standards of the subcommittee will be prepared with the following in mind:
- Determining requirements of the materials used to create the product.
- Addressing what physical requirements are expected.
- Agreeing to the minimum performance standards that will be allowed.
- Including those records that must be independently verified and maintained by the manufacturer.
- Stating what test methods must be followed.
- Creating consistent and verifiable installation procedures for a variety of substrate and regional conditions.
- Providing details on finish and appearance standards that are expected in a completed installation.
"The architect and engineer will have the opportunity to create a set of plans and specifications that are consistent within the industry," said Harris. "Equally important, the trade contractor will understand what is expected by the owner, will be able to estimate the project correctly and complete an installation that is the most appropriate for the product and job conditions."
All interested parties are invited to participate in the activities of Subcommittee C15.11. Harris notes that members of other ASTM committees, such as C12 on Mortars and Grouts for Unit Masonry, may be interested in C15.11, as well as people from stone, clay and concrete veneer manufacturers, natural stone suppliers, and the mortar, admixture, plaster and stucco industries. Subcommittee members would also be interested in input from architects, engineers and trade contractors.
For further technical information, contact Brenda Harris at (760) 802-6746 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report Abusive Comment