NAWIC Installs 2014-2015 President and Board Members
The National Association of Women in Construction installed Sandy K. Field, CBT, CIT, as its 60th National President during NAWIC’s Annual Meeting and Convention in Indianapolis, Ind. on Friday, Sept. 5, 2014. Field, Office/HR Manager for Horizon Group International, has been a member of NAWIC’s Houston, Texas Chapter since 2005.
“I am looking forward to next year as NAWIC navigates through some exciting changes, one being the redistricting of our regions,” said Field. “The redistricting brings with it unlimited possibilities for NAWIC and its members. However, as with any change, it must be properly managed to enjoy a smooth, productive and effective transition. As President, it will be my responsibility to see that the transition is carried out smoothly and in a manner that is most beneficial to the association as a whole.”
Field plans to spend her year in office working to increase the value of a NAWIC membership. She said, “It has been my mantra for the past few years that we need to get back to the basics of why NAWIC was founded. To ‘enhance the success of women in the construction industry’ we must offer value to membership with programs that are relevant to the industry and provide opportunities for professional development. One of my priorities will be to work with the chapters to evaluate how we can increase the value of membership on the chapter level to not only bring in new members, but also retain our existing members.”
Also during her tenure, Field plans to promote NAWIC’s mentoring programs. She said, “Another priority of mine is mentoring future leaders for the association. Our membership is made up of very dynamic women and we need to make sure we are building future leaders on all levels.”
NAWIC also installed officers President-Elect Riki F. Lovejoy, CBT, CIT, Greater Orlando, Fla. Chapter; Vice President Connie M. Leipard, CIT, Central Missouri Chapter; Treasurer, Stephanie K. Crane, CIT, Greater Birmingham, Ala. Chapter; Secretary Amy Berg, CBT, CIT, Fargo-Moorhead, N.D. Chapter; and Immediate Past President Yasmine A. Branden, CCA, Portland, Ore. Chapter.
In addition to the officers, the NAWIC board is comprised of a national director from the association’s 13 regions. Each director serves a two-year term and is elected by her peers to bring the wishes and needs of the chapters to the attention of the association.
New directors installed include:
• Midwest Region (6) Director Debbie Speake, Southwest Missouri Chapter;
• North Central Region (4) Director Anne Pfleger, CIT, Lima, Ohio Area Chapter;
• Northeast Region (14) Director Catherine D. Schoenenberger, Granite State Chapter (New Hampshire):
• Pacific Northwest Region (10) Director Rachel Stroup, Santa Clara, Calif. Chapter;
• Pacific Southwest Region Director Lorelee Langworthy, CBT, CDS, CIT, San Diego, Calif. Chapter; and
• Southeast Region (2) Director Anne Welch, CIT, Montgomery, Ala. Chapter.
NAWIC region directors serving the second year of their term include:
• Midwest Region (13) Diane I. Mike, CBT, Greater Madison, Wis. Chapter;
• Northeast Region (1) Director Sharon B. Adkins, Hartford, Conn. Chapter;
• Pacific Northwest Region (9) Director Sarah L. Webb, CDS, CIT, South Sound, Wash. Chapter;
• South Atlantic Region (11) Director Samantha Jane Hedgepath, Asheville, N.C. Chapter;
• South Central Region (5) Director Miki Haas, CIT, Northshore, La. Chapter;
• South Central Region (7) Director Jennifer M. Swinney, CBT, CDS, CIT, San Antonio, Texas Chapter; and
• Southeast Region (3) Director Jill Hanson, CIT, Tampa, Fla. Chapter.