Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0
DuPont Building Innovations launched DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0, a building wrap that acts as a breathable air and water barrier, while providing continuous exterior insulation. This new addition to the DuPont product portfolio helps builders achieve higher R-value wall assemblies, improving energy efficiency while helping to reduce the chance of water accumulation in the wall, which can lead to mold and water damage that may occur when using other non-vapor permeable exterior insulation products.
Based on sophisticated building science, DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0 delivers the benefits of a weather barrier along with an insulation value of R5.0 in a single, integrated product that can be installed using familiar installation techniques similar to those for DuPont Tyvek HomeWrap. Like all Tyvek building wraps, Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0 helps keep air and bulk water out of walls, but is breathable, allowing moisture vapor to escape the wall assembly, which helps walls dry to the outside.
DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0 will offer another insulation option to builders seeking to construct above-code, more energy-efficient homes as they work to achieve the higher wall R-values required by the most recent versions of the International Energy Conservation Code. This also can be done without dramatically changing current building practices.
“This product is the only one of its kind on the market,” said Angela Strzelecki, North America business director, DuPont Building Innovations. “We recognized the need for a product that can be installed like a building wrap, and provide builders a level of insulation to help improve energy efficiency and air and water protection to improve the durability of their homes. At the same time, DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0 can help builders meet or exceed increasingly stringent codes, standards and home certification programs. ”
Some additional benefits of using DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0:
- It provides continuous exterior insulation, increasing the R-value of the wall while reducing thermal bridging.
- It can be installed shingle fashion (unlike rigid, exterior foam insulation), reducing the potential for bulk water infiltration into the wall assembly.
- Windows, doors and wall penetrations can be easily flashed using available DuPont Flashing Systems.
- It is made with 20 percent pre-consumer, recycled polymers, including polyolefin.
- DuPont Insulated Battens will be available mid-year 2014 to provide a stable base for the installation of fiber cement, wood lap siding, manufactured stone veneer, and stucco. DuPont Insulated Battens are not needed behind vinyl siding, brick or stone.
- It has a Class A flame spread and smoke-developed index rating with no added fire-retardant chemicals.
- Supported nationally by the DuPont Tyvek Specialists Network and the DuPont Building Knowledge Center.
Starting October 2013, DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0 will be available through DuPont Tyvek distributors and dealers east of the Mississippi. By the end of 2014, DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0 is expected to be available across the remainder of the United States and Canada .
For more information about the benefits of DuPont Tyvek ThermaWrap R5.0 visit: ThermaWrapR5.Tyvek.com